Friday, April 10, 2015

And When You Touch Down



 


    “There's a nice little institution up the River that might just be a good fit.” My Headmaster suggested as we sat in his office reviewing a pathetically short list of secondary schools he thought I might have a shot at being accepted to. The two or three schools he'd coughed up for me were notable for their obscurity - third tier academies I'd barely heard of that bore the whiff of misery and stain of failure in their names alone. Schools, for the most part, that had the reputation for taking boys unfortunate enough to be rejected at the sexier places everyone I knew talked about constantly in the halls and locker room that autumn of my eighth grade year. Mom and Dad smiled at Dr. Westgate; they looked at me expectantly. I knew what they were thinking, what all three of us had thought the moment the words had past his lips; my father made a stab at levity. “Would that be Sing Sing?”




    The pressure to get in to one of these prestigious schools had completely overwhelmed most of us that fall and the fact that I cared so much about my own prospects while secretly wanting nothing more than to stay in the City and live at home was a conflict that dominated and drove nearly every facet of my life. There may have been other boys who felt this way as well, but none of us would have admitted it, blustering about instead with cocky assurance that we were off to Choate or Deerfield or Andover or Groton. I wanted to go to The High School of Art and Design – a magical place I'd heard about from my art teacher – but stifled that guilty ambition under the onslaught of peer pressure. And so we left Dr. Westgate's office that day armed with the names of three apparently “B-List” schools, one of which was located in North Andover, Massachusetts, which I figured was close enough to Andover to put on my list.




    My father and I had set out from Manhattan at dawn; before we'd crossed into Connecticut the sun was up and struggling to soften the dark, foreboding sky that seemed to swell and deepen with every passing mile. We were heading first for Choate, a school I'd put at the top of my list primarily because most of my classmates wanted to go there. I had a cousin there at the time who I knew would help me out, but JFK had been a Choate man and I didn't really harbor any hope of getting in. Icy winds buffeted the Wagoneer as we drove through the massive gates and pulled up before the ivy-covered office of admissions. The boy who greeted us wore a name tag on his brass-buttoned blazer and so did all the other boys milling about the quadrangle. We must have had a tour; I must have had an interview, but all for naught as I'd determined in that instant that I'd never go to a school where I'd be so anonymous as to be forced to wear a name-tag.




   Back in the car, Dad lit a Benson & Hedges, tuned the radio to 1010 WINS and, perhaps sensing my anxiety, kept his own council as we left Wallingford and headed north for Deerfield. I didn't want to go to Deerfield either, having selected it only because I'd had a friend whose family had moved there. We ate club sandwiches at the HoJo's before getting on the Mass Pike and driving through a series of ugly snow squalls. I turned the dial, hoping to find “Eight Miles High” or “Born To Be Wild”. Dad found more news out of Hartford and we listened to some blather about LBJ, Nixon's recent victory and plans for a march on Washington I knew I wasn't going to be able to attend. Snow changed to sleet as we exited the Pike; I gazed out at the dead, russet landscape of central Massachusetts through a nicotine haze and wondered what on Earth I'd gotten myself into. The sandwich commenced to rise, the fries congealed into an oily knot and began to sink. Deerfield was a marble mausoleum that smelled of urinal puck and reminded me of a men's room I'd visited in Saratoga as a child. As with Choate, the whole thing was over before it began and I think we were both relieved to put the place behind us and head out for the highway. This time my father cracked the windows as if to better rid our nostrils of the scent of polished marble.




   By the time we'd reached Brooks, Dr. Westgate's selection, it was well past dark on that cold and bitter, November afternoon. I can't recall our mood, but given my father's volatile nature and the fact that we'd been together in the Jeep for nearly eleven hours fighting over the radio, it couldn't have been good. Far from the brick and marble we'd grown used to, this building was a modest white cape that seemed too much like a private home to be an office. After knocking and waiting to no avail, Dad opened the door and we cautiously moved through the vestibule towards a cozy, paneled parlor where a large man dozed in a cracked and battered leather club chair before a roaring fire. An equally portly yellow lab lay farting at his feet and when my father cleared his throat they both awoke with a start; the man reaching out a hand to Dad, the Lab oozing up and over to snarfle at my hand and crotch.




   Perhaps that fat and flatulent dog had made the choice for me, but after some hot cider, Pilot crackers with sharp cheddar and a long delayed trip to the toilet I felt my anxiety begin to melt away. If I was really going to do this thing, I thought as we got back into the car for the long drive home, I might as well do it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment