Thursday, May 1, 2014

CAN'T TRUST THAT DAY




Most Sundays I would get up early, grab the Times magazine and a soft, black pen and sit down to the puzzle over coffee. After years of doing this, the puzzle was less of a challenge than a ritual and might take an hour or two to complete, after which I might go into the studio for a few hours. If it was Spring or Summer and lovely out, I'd leave the apartment at around eleven and walk through the Heights, across the Brooklyn Bridge, shopping a bit for supper on Canal or north into Little Italy. Cut back west on Grand and up West Broadway through SoHo for a look at the Bridge-and-Tunnel crowd and Euro-trash. Through the mimes and shell-gamers at Washington Square, east again on Bleeker or 4th street for a look at St Mark's and Clown Alley before heading back down to settle in on my stool at Fanelli's in the early afternoon. In sunlight softly filtered through the dusty plate glass, the bartender and one or two of the waitresses might be working together on the Times puzzle and, after my first Rolling Rock, I would ask how they were doing; were they through with it, had they had enough, might I have a crack? They'd slide it over, I'd take the pen from behind my ear and fill in the grid in a few minutes, the answers still fresh in my mind. This feat never failed to amaze the patrons and staff and I never came clean. 



   One wintery Sunday I took the train to the plane and wound up in a formidably gated villa in the hills above Port of Spain, Trinidad. The villa came with a few young men about our age who's job seemed to be skimming the pool and generally tidying up. They could spend all day doing this, moving at a languid, torpid pace, skimming, sweeping, arranging the deck chairs and generally trying to look occupied. By mid afternoon of our second day they had found us to be less demanding, perhaps, than the sort of guests they'd grown accustomed to and it wasn't long before most of their friends and relatives had more or less moved in and joined us loafing around the pool. It was Carnival so we spent evenings with our new friends down in the City, drinking warm rum, jumping up to raging Soka and steel drum Calypso in a sweaty sea of writhing flesh packed so tightly into the narrow streets that you'd literally be lifted up and swept away. Days were spent around the pool in recovery, smoking, drinking Shandy, eating a bit of grilled king fish and generally limin'. This was in the early 80's and Trinidad wasn't yet much of a destination, even at Carnival. Our head-man, Psych, and his friends kept a watchful, protective eye out for us at night in the City. I asked him how they would ever find us in those crowds if we ever got separated. “ No problem,” Psych said, “we just look for Whitey!”. It was that simple; David Byrne and Paul Simon hadn't shown up yet.

     I used to imagine that one day I'd have a wife and she and I would lounge about the place in our bathrobes on Sunday mornings, reading the paper, sipping the froth off our cappuccinos and idly discussing where we should head for brunch or dim-sum. I think this image must have come from an advertisement, probably from the Times Magazine. We were never really able to achieve that, though, what with all the chores and projects deferred during the week that just naturally overtake a young family. Early on, during a brief period of real employment and salary, I tried, of a leisurely Sunday mid-morning, laying about on the sun-dappled couch with my Patrick O'Brien. It did not go well and I've not attempted that since.

     Most weekends nowadays are spent catching up with the plowing or shoveling or raking or mowing. We've put the house on the market so there's always another corner to fluff or room to clean. We're thinking that if we can sell this place and downsize to, say, a station wagon, we can pack up the dogs and head out for some brunch. If our realtor ever comes back from vacation.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment